AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 15, 2007, 12:39:24 PM
62672 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2168 Members
Latest Member: offTheRecord
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Radio, TV and Video Production
| | |-+  Air check elements
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author
Topic: Air check elements  (Read 4544 times)
« on: June 18, 2004, 03:21:34 AM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

To All,

I've been in radio for 12 years, most of which has been part-time on-air and board op work. Of those 12 years no one has given me any good advice as to what to include in an air check tape to be sent to a prospective employer. I know the obvious, song intros/outros, but what other elements should I include? A weather read? sports read? production sample? Also how long should the whole piece be? 10 minutes? 15? I am also wondering what media I should put it on. Cassette tape, CD, DAT, Mini disc? SHould I use the station's call letters/liner of the station I am applying to or just include the stations that I worked at? I really want my resume/tape to "stand out" from the others that the program director has to go through. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

John R. Jordan, CRO

John R. Jordan, CRO
Jordan Broadcast Services
Reply #1
« on: June 18, 2004, 04:31:02 PM »
MartysProduction_dot_com Offline

AV Guy,

Ive been in radio about the same amount of time as you....I started on-air, but now mostly do free lance production.  I have this dilemma as well.....how do you get all the good stuff in in 3 or 4 minutes?  I dunno if I would suggest a 10 or 15 minute demo---I would stick with 3 to 5 minutes of your best stuff.  Actually its possible to have more than one demo.  I tend to change my frenquently, and adjust them accordingly for various formats.

Thank you making this post, it made me change my demo--something Ive been wantin to do for weeks now.  Check out my latest demo to give an idea of what Im talking about.  I didnt include my on air work, but instead a commercial I had voiced.  Ill post it in the recording showcase

let me know your thoughts..

MM

Marty Mitchell, CENM
Chief Executive Noize Maker
www.MartysProduction.com
The BEST Noize You'll Ever Hear!™
Reply #2
« on: June 18, 2004, 04:52:54 PM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

Marty,

You're welcome! Yeah something under 5 minutes is what I'm thinking. I want to show that I can do production and other things besides just announce music. I'm not one of those "shock jocks" I'm just plain and simple. "Talking" to the audience not trying to be some "hip" jock spouting all kinda of nonsense that the listener really doesn't want to her or care about for that matter. I'll give your stuff a listen and let you know. I tend to try to stay with one format that I like no more than two. I lean toward AC or oldies and sometimes classic rock. I have done country, but only in a voice tracked manner not live. I could do it again. Other formats I just don't fit in and I really don't like some of the music.

John R. Jordan, CRO
Reply #3
« on: June 18, 2004, 07:40:55 PM »
BFM Offline

Quote from: AudioVAULT_Guy
To All,

I've been in radio for 12 years, most of which has been part-time on-air and board op work.

Was this all at one station? Or have you made demos before?

I would keep demos to 1 minute, max 2 minutes. A PD can tell whether you're suitable after a few seconds.
Reply #4
« on: June 18, 2004, 09:19:38 PM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

No, I worked at an AM station for 6 years and two FMs for the other six years. I have made demos, but have never really thought I had them right or the right length. I've always felt they were too long.

John R. Jordan, CRO
Reply #5
« on: June 19, 2004, 04:51:03 AM »
Emmett Offline

I have to jump in here.  Even though I'm already participating in this discussion on the Audition Forum, this thread is going in a different direction.

Preferred length rather depends on the PD.  I recently sent a package to a PD in a mid-20's market.  (Slightly smaller market, but better daypart)

I sent a completely un-scoped six hour show, which ended up being about 15 minutes of material.  As soon as he listened to it, he e-mailed me back and said I didn't send him enough.  He wanted to hear more.  However, I got my current job with a one minute demo on CD.  

I would say that if every break showcases something different, go as long as you like.  But if they all consist of "That was...This is...", then keep it very short.
Reply #6
« on: June 19, 2004, 11:19:25 AM »
BFM Offline

AudioVAULT_Guy, sorry to state the obvious, and to some it's not so obvious, there are two things you should do on a jocking demo:

* Don't repeat the same type of link, just include one example of each thing. It can make tedious listening to hear the same thing over and over. To keep the demo sounding fresh, try to include as much contrast as possible in the links/spoken bits.
* Top-And-Tail your bits, that is, edit tightly as possible to just include your bits and not long sections of song outros and intros. The PD will know what the songs are, they just want to hear YOU.

As for what types of links to include. If you can listen to the station you're pitching, great, and make notes (I put the radio on or stream it from their web site if I'm not local and open up MS Word and start typing!) of the types of links they're doing. You don't want to send a demo that sounds too different to what they're already doing, and at the same time PDs do sometimes want something new, so strike a balance. An obvious example would be if you set up your own country station and I sent you a demo of me interviewing polititians on a news station, you would say 'Jesus, this guy hasn't got a clue what we're doing'.

Generically, you could try something like this:

1st Link. A link where you are introducing yourself and ID-ing the station.
2. A personality link.
3. A phoner.
4. A serious link, maybe a news teaser.
5. An enthusiastic live read spot.
6. An info link.
7. A travel or weather link.
8. A Promo.
9. An interview link.
10. Finish with a strong station ID and pointer.

But really, all these things are not all that important. They do however separate the amteur applicant from the pro! PDs are busy. PDs already have a drawer full of demos, you need to grab them quickly on the demo. If you were a PD and receiving 5 or 10 demos a day, there would quickly come a point where you get fed up with listening to demos, and would just listen for a few seconds, if you like the voice you might keep it on, if you don't it's in the bin. So even if you are a great voice and personality, you just might not be what they're looking for.
Reply #7
« on: June 19, 2004, 04:18:32 PM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

All great advice! Yes I am the author of this over on the Audition group. This is the sort of things I was looking for. Unfortunately I never really had a "mentor" or guide while I was working. I did get a critiquing from one of my PDs one time and he said if all the other jocks done as well as I did he'd have no problems! Thanks to all!

John R. Jordan, CRO
Reply #8
« on: June 21, 2004, 05:01:43 PM »
Radiokenny Offline

Ok, I’m going to give you a few tips on completing and presenting a good air-check. First off…. It is just as important to have good follow up calls and to show that you “desire” the position, considering that this is will be the key to getting your demo heard. I will digress a bit because I think that it is important to know the mentality of many Program directors. #1 BFM was correct when he said that PD’s have very little time. Because of this lack of time… they tend to find reasons to eliminate people from the pack. So, at first they are not looking for a reason to hire you. They are looking for a reason NOT to hire you. Pd’s usually start with a “No” and a “Maybe” pile. The trick is to get into the maybe pile to start. I start with a stack of 50 demos. I can only listen to 10. If you address it to the previous PD. I trash it. If you put the wrong call letters on the envelope or spell my name wrong. The “no” pile for these people too. I also like to see a short cover letter explaining the enclosed material that is in your packet. If your aircheck is on a tape.. then it better be labeled and cued up. If I have to rewind or hear more that 4 seconds of dead air when I hit play. You are eliminated. I don’t have time to rewind your tape for you. The CD or cassette label should include your name and phone number. With so many demos it’s easy to misplace a resume. Check all of your papers for incorrect information or misspelled words.

The reason that I’m writing all of this is because it really doesn’t matter what’s on the air-check if they never get to hear it.

Next, The PD is going to listen to about 15 seconds of each tape to eliminate about half of them. Here is what kills most people.
1.   If the first thing that they hear is 15 seconds of music.
2.   If the air-check starts with sweepers or long show intro.
3.   If you ramble too much in the first break.
4.   If you use cliché phrases in the first break.
5.   If you use repetitious words.
6.   If you sound like you are reading. “Don’t yuck or puke into the mic”
7.   Bad levels on the ramps “intros or outros” of songs.
8.   Bad mic technique. “ If I hear you Popping P’s”

Next, let’s talk about the air-check. It should contain 7 - 9 breaks depending on length. The fist thing that they should hear is “You”. A quick break…. not more than 15 seconds. All of your breaks should be checked for “Word Economy” Don’t take 40 seconds to say something that takes 20 seconds. Be efficient with your breaks. I agree with BFM when it comes to content. Make it vary. I came up with the S.P.I.T.E method a couple years ago.

Sell- “Some type of live pop-in or live commercial” to show you can so live copy.
Promote- Other Announcers or station events.
Inform- Quick weather or traffic update.
Tease- I like to hear you giving the listener a reason to stay tuned.
Entertain- Something fun or witty. Just don’t be too cheesy.

Put all of the breaks on the first track if you are burning it to CD.

Put you commercials or production on second and make sure that you have each spot on a different track. Make sure and show that you are versatile by having different styles of commercials. Don’t have 4 car commercials on the demo. Put a hard sell, a soft sell, character voice, a PSA Ect. Start and end with your strongest stuff. People always remember the beginning and end the most. End with a good 3-5 minutes of news on the last track.

Next, here is another big thing to remember. Follow up your demo and call to see if it made it to the PD. Call and ask when you can come in for an interview. Be persistent, but not pesky. I like people to show me that they really want the job. Ask when would be a good time to call back. They are busy… keep reminding them who you are.

I’m not saying that this stuff will work in all situations, but it will make your percentages higher. I listen to and critique around 100 air-checks a week. I hope the tips help

Later, radiokenny
Reply #9
« on: June 21, 2004, 07:15:29 PM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

You guys are GREAT! I'm getting tons of great advice. Keep it up! I'm creating a Word document with everything in it so when I sit down and prepare my next air check it will be as near a perfect attempt as I have ever done. Great point on the follow up. With snail mail being the way it is that is the best piece of advice. Here's another good question. What should the coverletter say other than what the demo has on it?

John R. Jordan, CRO
Reply #10
« on: June 21, 2004, 11:33:37 PM »
Radiokenny Offline

I don’t know your strengths. So it’s hard for me to recommend what you need to put in a cover letter. Because the radio industry is full of talented flakes, I like to hear something about you being dependable and that you take directions well. A program director is in charge of “programming” he doesn’t need your input on a cover letter. I see this on some cover letters. He just needs to know that you can follow his rules when it comes to programming.

The reason that I said to call and check on it is because… When I was on air full time…I use to grab the morning mail and I would use the good demo tapes to record my show that day. Eliminate the competition at the door. I would leave the bad ones for the PD to listen to because they didn’t have a chance in hell. I recommend that people record their shows everyday, because you can listen back each week to make sure that you aren’t picking up any bad habits and they come in handy if you are fired today. Instant air-check in the mail. No need to do a show. Just take some recent break samples and mail it out. I’m not saying that I have all the answers. These are just a few things to consider. I would also have someone you trust. Listen to your demo for any mistakes. Sometimes you work so close to a project, we don’t hear the mistakes.

I should also add that I'm telling you this assuming that you want to get a gig on-air. If you are going for a commercial production job or news. The rules change a little. I bet that Craig Jackman could give you some great tips for a production air-check. If he has the time to post. I know he's a busy man

I know that I've been rambling a bit on this thread... But there are some other tips that I have for getting a job in radio. Some of them cover more in detail what I was talking about in the previous post. I even Put it in easy form so you can paste it to a word document.

When thinking about job leads,  there are many resources and sources for jobs; the job seeker must use their imagination.  Suggested resources:

1.audiomasters.org friends <---shameless website plug.
2.Networking
3.The Internet
4.Radio and Records Magazine
5.Broadcast yearbook
6.Classified ads
7.Yellow pages
8.Phone search
9.Website newsletters
10.NAB job pool
11.station lists on radiolocator.com
12.Broadcasting contacts
13.Chambers of commerce
14.Employment services
15.Talent agencies
16.YOUR IMAGINATION!

D)Ethics: in the job search.  While not wanting to influence the job seeker into not applying for a job…there are times when they shouldn’t.  If a job is on the “open market” it is normally fair game.  But, there are certain situations that dictate the opposite:

1.A fellow friends “lead”…don’t apply to these without the courtesy of permission.
2.Any position the applicant is not qualified for.
3.Any position that the applicant wouldn’t accept or be happy with.
4.Any position the applicant wouldn’t be willing to display dedication to the employer, or wouldn’t remain on the job for a reasonable length of time.

Broadcasting is a “small” industry.  “Skeletons” can follow an applicant around!

INTERVIEWING

A)Pre interview: the setup…advance telephone call to set-up an interview:

1.Identify who you are.
2.Explain what you want and discuss the status of your aircheck tape/CD (if pre-mailed or not).
3.Clarify the instructions for follow-up (if you must reschedule to a later time).
4.If no interview is set-up, try to leave the door open for another follow-up call.

B)Dress code: DRESS NICELY!  It does not matter what kind of station or format…or even the station’s dress code.  DRESS NICELY FOR THE INTERVIEW!

1.If the situation dictates it, wear a suit/tie or a dress.  If it is not that formal, slacks/shirt would be acceptable.
2.Don’t forget you are applying for a professional position…nothing less!
3.Your dress should always be in direct relation to the position in which you are interviewing for.

C)Conduct: PROFESSIONALISM…do not forget the type of job you’re after!  It is a fun business (fun is an ingredient…but it’s heavy on the business).  Many applicants don’t realize the impact their actions and words carry, especially the first impression.  It can be devastating to the interview.

D)Application: the application is one of the most critical aspects of the job search.

1.Write clearly.  Print if possible.
2.Watch spelling/grammar.
3.Answer all sections of the application.
4.Answer all questions thoroughly and professionally.
5.Insure all information is accurate and matches the info on your resume.
6.Don’t forget to sign the application.
7.Take an extra copy of your resume with you to the interview.
8.Review the application prior to turning it in.
9.Take a pen/pencil with you.
10.Take a notebook/portfolio with you (to use as something to write on…plus it looks good!).

E)The interview:

1.Don’t be a “show off”…let your work do that.
2.Don’t explain the submitted material (or apologize).
3Don’t “hit” the employees (Example: chuck on the shoulder).
4.Don’t act like a radio “groupie”.
5.Don’t smoke.
6.Don’t eat or drink anything while at the station.
7.Don’t “chew” tobacco
8.Don’t talk negatively about:
a.prior employees
b.other radio stations
c.politics
d.ANYTHING
9.Don’t offer an “opinion” on any subject unless asked.
10.Don’t ask about what the station offers you, unless you are invited to do so.
11.Don’t take anyone with you to the interview.
----------------------------------------------------------

Here are some do's

12.Do dress properly (stations are professional!).
13.Do speak clear and concise (keep answers short, concise and to the point).
14.Do look at the interviewer directly, making eye contact (don’t stare).
15.Do keep language positive.
16.Do become fairly familiar with the company you are applying to, prior to the interview (it makes you look very good).  Do your homework!
17.Do ask questions, but make sure the question is a “smart” question and not just a reason to talk.
18.Do be very aware of posture and body language (sit up straight).
19.Do take a pen/pencil to the interview.
20.Do take extra copies of your resume and also something to write on.
21.Do arrive a few minutes early for the interview.
22.Do display confidence, not “cockiness”.

F)Follow up.  Post interview:

1.Determine what the post interview process policy for the station is (if one applies).  Can you call back?
2.Discuss when you should expect to hear from the prospective employer (if they are to contact you).
3.Don’t forget to thank the interviewer for their time.
4.Send a thank you letter to the station for their time and consideration…even if you’re NOThired.  Maybe even send a thank you E-mail to the interviewer(s) as soon as you get home from the interview!
5.Wait for 3-4 “working days” to make a follow-up call (of applicable).
6.If the position is still available, follow-up with a second phone call/letter 2-3 weeks after the initial interview.

Good Luck on the job search.

Thanks, radiokenny  Cheesy
Reply #11
« on: June 22, 2004, 01:19:31 AM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

RadioKenny

Excellent! and yes, I am looking for something on-air. Good points on the cover letter. I guess a little rewriting there will have to be done as well. As I mentioned over on the Audition post of this same thread. I am attempting to get a job at the station I consider my "dream job" and a station I have listened to for 28 years. That station is WRAL-FM in Raleigh, NC. I'm 37 and just recently quit my full-time job as a customer service rep with a bank and am actively looking for a job. Now as I mentioned in my original post that I have worked in radio part-time for a total of 12 years. I have practically worked every shift you can work at on-air. However, either I wasn't that good or the station I worked for just didn't want to really pay me after getting a well deserved raise. They didn't fire me nor did they let me go they just never called me back to work. I really love radio and the on-air side. So much so that I have my own studio here in my living room. All I need is the transmitter, tower, and license and I'd have my own station. I do hold a restricted radiotelephone license and I recently got certification as a Radio Operator from the SBE. If you like I can send you my stuff privately and we can go in more detail from there.

John R. Jordan, CRO
Reply #12
« on: June 22, 2004, 09:16:53 AM »
Emmett Offline

Great advice from RadioKenny!  I just have a couple of things to add on.  Three really good websites for jobs are http://www.tvandradiojobs.com, http://www.allaccess.com, and http://www.fmqb.com.  All are free and great resources.

I would also like to expand on this:  

Do ask questions, but make sure the question is a “smart” question and not just a reason to talk.

It's a great idea to have a few good questions prepared.  Try to come up with something that stands out.  I always like to ask the PD what he/she likes about the company and what makes it more than a "job" to him/her.  That shows that you are looking for more than a job.  

And also this one:  
Don’t act like a radio “groupie”.

It's easy to do...Especially when it's your favorite station.  I have nothing to add to that one, just keep it in mind, since this is your dream job.

And to add to the list of interviewing do's:  23.  Smile.   Smiley
Reply #13
« on: June 22, 2004, 03:53:18 PM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

The groupie one I really hadn't thought about but you are right! Thanks for the links I'll check them out. Thanks for clearing up on what to ask in the interview. That was something I was curious about.

John R. Jordan, CRO
Reply #14
« on: June 22, 2004, 07:26:19 PM »
iMediaTouch_Guy Offline

RadioKenny,

Here's the first of the demo. This is the one using WRAL's  call letters and slogan. I know there are two things wrong I did use the word degrees in my weather part and I am somewhat repeditive. I'll upload some of the bits I have from the stations I worked at later.

John R. Jordan, CRO
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: