AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 16, 2007, 05:56:07 PM
62675 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: tone2
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  AC-3 vs CD
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author
Topic: AC-3 vs CD  (Read 1540 times)
Reply #15
« on: April 29, 2004, 01:50:01 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Jester700
I'll let Steve handle this if he wants; he's better equipped for it.  But you can't get anything for free.  Upsampling cannot improve the sound quality, it can ONLY worsen it (even if the effect is inaudible).  This is different from oversampling, which is more or less a technique of digital filtering.

True. And there's no way I'm getting into this again - teflon had enough difficulty with it last time - and I can see absolutely no point in rehashing this here.

Reply #16
« on: April 29, 2004, 07:14:46 PM »

OK I'll play along and I'll agree that upsampling does not improve sound quality. But just say my dvd player did not upsample 44.1k material
what could be causing the difference?

Is there any way of knowning if it does upsample?
Steve please take that link off. cheesy I'll kill you.
Reply #17
« on: April 29, 2004, 09:33:43 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Aw, c'mon Tef--be a sport.  He could've posted this link too, but didn't!
Reply #18
« on: April 30, 2004, 12:09:32 AM »
Jester700 Offline

Yeesh.  I'd forgotten those threads.  I must be repressing the memory... wink

Jesse Greenawalt
Reply #19
« on: April 30, 2004, 12:42:09 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: tannoyingteflon

Steve please take that link off. cheesy I'll kill you.

You're always trying to do that anyway. So I'm either dead, and it doesn't matter, or alive and your death threats are meaningless, and it doesn't matter. So I think that I can leave it there with impunity, don't you?

Are you going to make death threats to MusicConductor as well? Anybody else you'd like to threaten at the same time? - sort-of get it all over in one go? Maybe you'll feel better then...  rolleyes

Reply #20
« on: April 30, 2004, 05:18:53 AM »

Hey I was only joking.

Hey don't involve MusicConductor in it. But I don't know why he betrayed me.

What would make me feel better is that we don't get off track and stay focused on the subject.

I think that higher sampling rates improve sound in a less than perfect cd/dvd players because the roll off frequency in the recontruction filter is moved up and audible phase distortion is not heard within the audible range.

A mate of mine who was a PC monitor technician and a audio enthusiast said (years ago) that the reason why cheap cd players (or cd's in general - not sure which one) sounded poor was due to phase distortion.

And he also mentioned that good Vinyls sound better than cd's.
But I'm assuming that sounds better doen't mean perform better rather they sound more appealing.
Reply #21
« on: April 30, 2004, 10:31:34 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

....well, it was just a little [attempt at] humor... very little!

There may be a good bit of truth to what you've just said, though I'm having a hard time resisting making the comment that it is prudent to choose friends carefully!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: