AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 02:30:52 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  MIDI - The complete lowdown?
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: MIDI - The complete lowdown?  (Read 69965 times)
Reply #90
« on: November 09, 2004, 10:45:29 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Quote from: Joan
I do not have any external midi devices, only the internal Sw synthesizer from Microsoft under Windows Xp pro Sp1.

What I can do with midis and audition ?

Your quickest and easiest path is to play the midi file using the WMP and record the audio output of that, using Audition.

Reply #91
« on: November 10, 2004, 01:41:05 AM »
bonnder Offline

Joan - give us a bit more information about your setup if you will.  Do you have a MIDI player (e.g., Winamp, the Windows MIDI player, etc.)  MIDI players will send the MIDI code through the GM.DLS soundset referred to above.  When the MIDI code hits the soundset, it gets turned into audio sound.  You can import that audio into CEP/AA using Virtual Audio Cables, as outlined in a post or two above.  Or, with the proper soundcard, you can simply press the red R (record) button in Audition, press "Play" on your MIDI player, and Audition will record the audio that your audio card is producing - without cables.  I can do this with my setup.

With CEP 2.1, I have just loaded a MIDI file in multi-track view (View > Multitrack View); click on Insert > MIDI from file.  I set the MIDI file properties at Options > Device Properties > MIDI Out tab.  I also set the properties at the left side of the MIDI track  (Map > Device).  CEP 2.1 is playing my MIDI file.  It is making the proper sounds.  Of interest is the fact that at Options > Device Properties > MIDI Out tab, I have selected the MIDI Out of my soundcard (this would drive an external keyboard or sound module).  Yet the MIDI file is still playing - making sounds.  It seems that what you set at Map > Device is what controls whether you hear sound or not from CEP playing the MIDI file.  I assume all of this is more or less the same for AA 1.5.

If you load a MIDI file into Track 1 and set your MIDI properties correctly, you should be able to click on the Rec 1 button on Track 2, set your properties as required for your setup, then arm Track 2 for record by clicking on the red "R" button at the left of Track 2, and then click on the "Play" button.

I've given you a couple of options to try, but cannot be more specific without knowing more about your setup.  Let us know if anything suggested here works for you.
Reply #92
« on: November 10, 2004, 02:31:37 AM »
bonnder Offline

If you discover that you can't record your MIDI Player's output directly into AA (that is, you need a virtual cable connection), and you don't want to bother with Virtual Audio Cables - you might try Total Recorder.  It will record your audio stream to a wav file.  You can then open this wav file with AA.

http://www.highcriteria.com/
Reply #93
« on: November 11, 2004, 07:08:23 PM »
Joan Offline

Good evening from Greece,

Many many thanks for your kind replies to my earliest post.

I couldnt be able to record my midis through audition because of the wrong settings but now everithing is ok.

I have downloaded the miditowav recorder v.3.5 demo and I recorded some midis with it and I can say that I am quite satisfied.

Unfortunately the demo version can only convert the midi file to wave in realtime but anyway I have success to record some midis.

I have checked the settings for midi to wave and I put the same settings into audition and now everithing is ok.

I really dont know if recording my midis to wave with audition the sound quality will be better.

I use windows media player 8 to play my midis through the microsoft software synthesizer.

My motherboard is the asus a7n8x with onboard sound Ac97 nforce2.

I ask please to know why the settings for recording any midi file must be on Midi mapper for output and Wave mapper for input.

It make more sense to me if the settings are Microsoft software synthesizer as midi output and Nvidia audio for recording.

I have tried the Cm's studio vst sampler dS 04 that was given free with the Uk magazine computer music (future publishing) but audition is not support this vst instrument and I ask please to know why.

Many thanks in advance.

Joan
Reply #94
« on: February 08, 2005, 12:57:05 PM »
ozpeter Offline

Has anyone mentioned http://www.bostreammail.net/ers/lazysnake.html (Lazysnake electric piano) vsti before?  Wow, it's good.  Donationware.
Reply #95
« on: March 29, 2005, 04:43:19 PM »
bonnder Offline

See here for a discussion of splitting MIDI channels into separate sequencer tracks to be used with, say, a drum sequencer.

http://audiomastersforum.net/amforum/viewtopic.php?t=3329
Reply #96
« on: January 23, 2006, 01:34:08 AM »
AndyH Offline

My setup is Win98se and Cool Edit 2000. Under Options/Settings/Devices is MIDI Out (Music preview) where I can make any one of a number of choices. Some of those apparently send data to a soundcard MIDI  I/O port and some render the MIDI so it can be heard as it plays.

These options also exist in the OS Media Player and in WinAmp. I can't verify the MIDI  I/O since I have no external MIDI devices, but in these two programs all the to-sound options produce audio output as the file plays. However, I find no way to open/import/insert a MIDI file into CE2K, so I can do nothing with one there. It might be that this ability only exists in CE Pro or in Audition, but if so, for what is that MIDI Out option under Devices?
Reply #97
« on: May 03, 2006, 01:49:22 AM »
bonnder Offline

Some more reading on VSTs and VSTis at the Adobe site:

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bba6bdb/27
My Pruned List of Handy VST Effects

http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb7bbf6
VST Instruments

If you don't have an account there, just log in as "guest".  Also, be sure to click on "Show All Messages" on the right side of the screen to expand the threads.

And for AndyH - my version of CE2K has no option for importing or loading a Midi file either.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: