AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 16, 2007, 03:28:05 PM
62675 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: tone2
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Anybody tried one of these yet ? (Apogee rosetta 800)
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Anybody tried one of these yet ? (Apogee rosetta 800)  (Read 572 times)
« on: February 28, 2004, 07:20:02 PM »

I was wondering if anybody is useing one the apogee rosetta 800's yet ? ( http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/rosetta800.php )
If so any comments etc ?

Thanks  Cheesy
Reply #1
« on: February 28, 2004, 07:39:47 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: signit
I was wondering if anybody is useing one the apogee rosetta 800's yet ? ( http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/rosetta800.php )
If so any comments etc ?

Thanks  Cheesy

Seriously expensive....

Reply #2
« on: February 28, 2004, 10:35:20 PM »
oretez Offline

I have not  . . . no, (or yes) had to double think . . . haven't 'tested' a Rosetta 800 yet.  During mid '90's one of the first all digital environments (for me) included an Akai 12 trk to tape (used a proprietary tape similar to Beta video cartridge) that on several occasions was fed by an outboard Apogee A/D converter.  This set up was far superior to any desk top DAW with which I had experience at the time.  Part of the reason for this was, of course, the analog build of the circuits surrounding the digital converters.

My gut reaction is that some of the current apogee marketing strategy is a bit misguided and they are trying to bank on a cachet that simply will not work in today's market.  (well pro tools has done it, but hey) . . . three and a half years ago as I was exploring the cost to migrate to a 24bit environment (from 20) the apogee converters were still among the best I heard . . . but for me, there was & is a better way to spend the money.  There are any number of companies (with all the usual caveats I remain fond of both Echo & Aardvark . . . & regularly use entry level Tascam/Frontier (US428)) that provide 'pro' level A/D at significantly lower price points. . . and improvements in acoustics of trkng & mixing environments (the room) and in the analog portion of the chain (artists, cables, monitors, mics, pre-amps, signal routing) will provide better end product dividends than buying the priciest converter available

but . . . depending of who owns the company & manfcs the boxes when I win the lottery I would buy an apogee just to have it in the arsenal. (of course I'm paranoid enough that I might never put it in the same room with musicians)
Reply #3
« on: February 29, 2004, 02:40:52 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

I had one of the Akai's (the 1214) as well.  We actually mentioned them on the old Synt forum.  The MD there had cut his teeth on one as well.

wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: