AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 16, 2007, 12:00:03 PM
62675 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: tone2
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Thrifty Softsynths/Samplers/Trackers *RIP*
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: Thrifty Softsynths/Samplers/Trackers *RIP*  (Read 7775 times)
Reply #15
« on: April 01, 2004, 11:16:10 AM »
Taidme Offline

This might be a bit OT, but anyway. You should be careful with Modplug tracker. It's tempo seems to drift.

I made a 3 minute drum "loop" to use as click track in a song. It was around 180 bpm. Exported this to Audition. I played the guitar track and after a few tries I started to suspect something was not right. I mean, I may not be the greatest guitarist ever but I can hold a rythm. And in about half way through I missed it. So I listened to the drum track with the Audition metronome and low and behold they went out of sync gradually. It was about the half way where this became very audible.

I have not really noticed this before, so I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the fact that I exported wav files from Modplug 48k 32bit, which I haven't usually done. Or maybe I haven't been paying attention since I generally work with slower tempos.
Reply #16
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:14:38 PM »

As far as I know ive never had that problem with it. If there is one, I suggest logging onto the message board and posting a detailed bug report on the "openMPT" forum there. There are MANY programmers on there ready to work on problems like that. Did you ever wonder maybe your drumming loop was off?

RonC
Reply #17
« on: April 01, 2004, 01:37:32 PM »
Taidme Offline

If there is one, I suggest logging onto the message board and posting a detailed bug report on the "openMPT" forum there. There are MANY programmers on there ready to work on problems like that. Did you ever wonder maybe your drumming loop was off?

I don't have a detailed bug report. I was in a hurry, so played the guitar with the click. I really didn't need the drums for anything, they're just easier to play along with.
Drumming loop really couldn't be off. It was plain old 128 rows with bassdrum and snare on one track (column) and the hihat on the other. occasional splash of cymbal. I wrote the notes myself, so it really wasn't a loop. One pattern. About 200bpm. Inserted in the sequence editor for a couple dozen times. Exported as 48k/32bit stereo (or mono? can't remember) wav file. I think any problems in tempo would have to come from Modplug. Come to think of it, I remember having similar problems before, but I always blamed my or other's guitar playing wink
Reply #18
« on: April 02, 2004, 05:16:18 AM »

hmmm when you export a wav you know theres a pause maybe thats why it kept doing that!

RonC
Reply #19
« on: April 02, 2004, 07:52:05 PM »
Taidme Offline

hmmm when you export a wav you know theres a pause maybe thats why it kept doing that!

I'm not sure what you mean by "a pause". If you mean that was I stupid enough to export one pattern out of MPT and loop it in audition, you're wrong. As I wrote I used only one pattern, but it was looped in the pattern list in MPT. And then exported as wav from pattern 1-50 (I can't recall exact numbers.) The point is that tempo varies in that exported clip. And I was very careful to match MPT drums with the Audition click.

Have you tried exporting as 48K/32 bit? Just use the steps I have been reporting. The tempo change wasn't/isn't huge but it made me lose timing.

Don't get me wrong, I think Modplug tracker is the greatest tracker ever. Ever. I have been using a lot of them. I've been tracking with computer since (I think) 1989 beginning with Adlib and than moving on to self build Covox soundcard, and then to sound blasters. And of all the basic trackers that I've used MPT is simply the greatest. Just to be able to use soundbanks is something I could never give up, now that I know how beautiful it can be.
Reply #20
« on: April 06, 2004, 05:24:01 AM »

did you make sure the loop looped properly? When MPT renders, it has a small pause at the end of a render.

RonC
Reply #21
« on: April 06, 2004, 09:48:34 AM »
Taidme Offline

As I wrote I used only one pattern, but it was looped in the pattern list in MPT. And then exported as wav from pattern 1-50 (I can't recall exact numbers.) The point is that tempo varies in that exported clip. And I was very careful to match MPT drums with the Audition click.

So what the renderer does at the end of a song three minutes long doesn't really matter as the tempo varies in the middle.
Reply #22
« on: April 28, 2004, 02:37:46 PM »
ozpeter Offline

"Console" - http://www.console.jp/eng/index.html - another modular studio, runs as standalone or as a VST or DX effect which can in turn host VST effects or DX - or VSTi effects.  Over to you, Ron, to see if you can use it to get a VSTi running in Audition.

But "Console" isn't the best title to use for something people will try to find with Google, surely?
Reply #23
« on: June 13, 2004, 01:36:04 AM »
BFM Offline

A long page of free VSTi synths here:

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~thman/VST/vst-allinstr.htm

wink
Reply #24
« on: June 13, 2004, 02:57:09 AM »
ozpeter Offline

Oooo!  Great link!  That's a couple of hours out of my day right away!
Reply #25
« on: June 28, 2004, 04:09:21 PM »
Shazbot Offline

Just tried the Crystal synth the other day. Wow! Very cool.

http://www.EricHermanMusic.com
- Cool Tunes for Kids -
Reply #26
« on: July 02, 2004, 12:37:14 PM »
Dieter@be Offline

http://www.sharewaremusicmachine.com/smm/programs/DrumMapExport/
A nice plugin that makes a drum map for cubase, based on the filenames of the samples loaded in fxpansion DR-008.
authors website here:
http://www.cmusic.dsl.pipex.com/

1 remark i have about the drum map, is has the same weird order like in cubase, I 'ld prefer e.g. first C0,C1,C2,.. then C#1 etc. (since I put all the basdrums in the first column, the snares in the second etc) ( I mailed him about this, he said he will implement it in the next version, if there is ever going to be a next version.....)
For the rest, great plugin that does what it's supposed to do  wink

edit: here's another nice freeware audio recording/editing/(somewhat) mixing tool.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

http://www.tencrazy.com/gadgets/ All kinds of (midi) plugins here
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: