AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 27, 2007, 06:52:17 AM
62769 Posts in 6227 Topics by 2178 Members
Latest Member: girdhar
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Third-Party Plugins
| | |-+  ReaFir - free FFT-based EQ/dynamics processor/noise removal/analysis plug-in
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Sticky Topic Topic: ReaFir - free FFT-based EQ/dynamics processor/noise removal/analysis plug-in  (Read 1381 times)
« on: February 06, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
ozpeter Offline

ReaFir: a FFT-based EQ/dynamics processor/noise removal/analysis plug-in. ReaFir can do a lot of types of processing, from standard linear FIR-based EQ, to noise signature detection and removal to per-band compression and gating.  http://reaper.fm/files/reaplugs.zip is the download site.  Seems to work in Audition 2.0 - unlike the other effects in the download package.  Real-time NR is a novelty, though it's nothing like as effective as Audition's own - might be ok in some situations however.
Reply #1
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:12:11 PM »
Aim Day Co Offline

Hmm! saw that on the KVR site. I'll have to look into it. Thanks Oz.

Reply #2
« on: February 06, 2007, 02:35:55 PM »
BFM Offline

KVR site eh ... and Audition people aren't interested in soft-synths  grin
Reply #3
« on: February 06, 2007, 03:01:51 PM »
pwhodges Offline

Real-time NR is a novelty,

In Audition, perhaps, but not elsewhere.  My years-old Algorithmix Sound Laundry is still remarkably effective.

Paul
Reply #4
« on: February 06, 2007, 04:38:20 PM »
Despised7 Offline
Administrator

It's free huh?  I have used it in Reaper and liked it.  Thanks for the heads up!

Reply #5
« on: February 06, 2007, 08:32:54 PM »
ozpeter Offline

KVR site eh ... and Audition people aren't interested in soft-synths
I read it for the effects and the debates on the merits of different audio programs.  And for the soft synths...
Reply #6
« on: February 07, 2007, 04:24:23 AM »
blurk Offline

Oh I'm into soft synths all right.  I just do all my "composing" / programming / whatever in other software (not necessarily a straight sequencer, either) then do a final mix and some mastering in Audition.
Reply #7
« on: February 07, 2007, 02:39:13 PM »
oretez Offline

to question whether Audition is the best interface to implement softsynths hardly precludes interest or use of them

until v2 AA was not a robust real time multitrack performance app, but integrating data 'rendered' by other engines was pretty easy.  earlier versions of CE/AA had small enough CPU footprints that once MME driver issues were resolved a number of audio apps could reside actively, harmoniously (in ways I found more problematic with Cuebase &/or cakewalk product)

& a number of softsynth rendering engines permitted 'capture' with 32bit dynamics, something most 'real time' audio apps still can't accomplish

additionally CE/AA has been around significantly longer then it has been genuinely cost effective for an 'average' project studio to integrate multitrack recording & real-time softsynth on the same physical machine . . . side stepping the issue of sample playback, by the time you employ a patch with a handful of modulations coupled to performance dynamics, with dynamic harmonic feedback control, full reverb CPU load seems puny (in comparison) (plus there are latency issues coupled to the physics of sound not merely CPU/HD seek time speeds) . . . while you can buy specialized DSP boards to offset the load those still tend to redshift a system in direction of $10k very rapidly

it is possible that average DAW specs are now robust enough to support, within AA something like Steve's suggestion . . . but to have cobbled something on to AA that was by default crippled (more or less the ProTools approach to reality) I still think would have been self defeating  (PT was marketing, not software, success). . . a trick in writing any code is to make it powerful enough to 'do' something right now while building in flexibility to deal with cost of Moore's Law . .. and that's not an easy task . . . there's a mountain of good code that failed to survive a succeeding cycle of hardware enhancements

I'm not an adobe fan (from photoshop/quark days), haven't upgraded to V2, don't use AA for tracking, yet core resiliency of CE code has kept AA a very active element of my daily arsenal . . . doesn't mean that AA does not need to evolve, merely that prior to V2 AA/CE was pretty much a crown species of audio editors and while I use synthesis extensively, MIDI quite frequently I do not disagree with contention that additional MIDI capability would quite probably have been crippling rather then enhancing for the app.

what happens from here is a different story
Reply #8
« on: March 04, 2007, 10:41:17 AM »
ozpeter Offline

Hmm, just noticed I should have started this whole thread in the "Plugins" forum rather than here - oops.

Anyway, just reporting that "ReaEQ" has been added to the free bundle linked to in the first post, and it works in AA2.0.  Quite a lot like Audition's parametric eq, but it offers unlimited bands, and more filter types, and a more chunky interface for those whose eyesight is not improving with age!  Right click on the points for extra options.  If you unselect the tab display tickbox, you get a bigger graphic.  I have no opinion on its sound compared with the Audition eq.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: