AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
May 16, 2016, 07:46:26 AM
76277 Posts in 8101 Topics by 2837 Members
Latest Member: MrPetras15
News:      
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5 & 6
| | |-+  is there a lame plugin for audion cc?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: is there a lame plugin for audion cc?  (Read 918 times)
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:21:32 PM »
rosanna Offline

Hi
is there a lame plugin for audition cc?

thanks
best regards
Reply #1
« on: October 03, 2014, 04:29:58 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

No there isn't. Audition uses Fraunhofer's legal licensed version only.
Reply #2
« on: October 03, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
rosanna Offline

No there isn't. Audition uses Fraunhofer's legal licensed version only.
thanks
sad , because i always like more mp3 quality
but there is for example a wavpack plugin , so it would possibily to create a plugin http://www.wavpack.com/downloads.html
Reply #3
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
YogiBoar Offline

You could easily save as a wavefile and convert to mp3 using a prog such as Foobar2000.

Thunder Bolt

Strikes where least expected!
Reply #4
« on: October 05, 2014, 04:54:03 PM »
rosanna Offline

You could easily save as a wavefile and convert to mp3 using a prog such as Foobar2000.
hi
i know but it's sad that an audio beautiful piece of software doesn't include lame encoder ,it's the best
thanks
Reply #5
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:25:52 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

It's not sad at all; It would be illegal for Adobe to do this.
Reply #6
« on: October 05, 2014, 11:21:36 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

I've never thought the included MP3 encoder was bad. Seems OK to me.

Reply #7
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:45:09 AM »
rosanna Offline

but lame is free and open source
they added the Fraunhofer encoder
Reply #8
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Surely, the one in Audition is also free?

Reply #9
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:04:23 PM »
ryclark Offline

Have there been any improvements to the Fraunhofer MP3 codec over the last few years?
Reply #10
« on: October 07, 2014, 09:18:02 AM »
YogiBoar Offline

Have you seen the price of Audition?

Thunder Bolt

Strikes where least expected!
Reply #11
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:24:15 PM »
Graeme Offline
Administrator

Have you seen the price of Audition?

Of course I have.  The original poster asked about a plug-in for it, which would indicate they already have the host program - as do most members of this forum, it is Audition specific, after all!

Reply #12
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

but lame is free and open source
they added the Fraunhofer encoder

Anybody producing an MP3 coder and calling it one has to pay royalties to Fraunhofer, or risk being sued for a fortune. That's why all the other ones you see sell for real money - they're paying. LAME doesn't pay them anything. Why?

Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder. Really. They describe it as an 'educational desription of an MP3 encoder' not a real one - hence source code only being distributed, and with warnings about patent infringement too.

And that's why it's only ever available to compile and install at your own risk. Since Adobe have already paid Fraunhofer to include a legal MP3 encoder, it would be somewhat stupid of them to include one that would get them sued, so they don't.

And as Graeme says, there's nothing any more wrong with Audition's Fraunhofer encoder (which has been updated several times, and certainly isn't the same in each version of Audition) than there is with any other one you might come across. I.e. it depends entirely what you are coding with it, and how fast. Some stuff doesn't degrade that much, whilst other stuff sounds awful.
Reply #13
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:56:32 PM »
jamesp Offline

And as Graeme says, there's nothing any more wrong with Audition's Fraunhofer encoder (which has been updated several times, and certainly isn't the same in each version of Audition)

The version that I tried sounded terrible - really obvious artefacts even when using a sensible bit rate. That's why I've always used Lame rather than the one built into Audition.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Audio Mastering, Duplication and Restoration
Reply #14
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
pwhodges Offline

Quote from: Wikipedia
The initial near-complete MPEG-1 standard (parts 1, 2 and 3) was publicly available on 6 December 1991 as ISO CD 11172.[55][56] In most countries, patents cannot be filed after prior art has been made public, and patents expire 20 years after the initial filing date, which can be up to 12 months later for filings in other countries. As a result, patents required to implement MP3 expired in most countries by December 2012, 21 years after the publication of ISO CD 11172.

An exception is the United States, where patents filed prior to 8 June 1995 expire 17 years after the publication date of the patent, but application extensions make it possible for a patent to issue much later than normally expected (see submarine patents). The various MP3-related patents expire on dates ranging from 2007 to 2017 in the U.S.[57] Patents filed for anything disclosed in ISO CD 11172 a year or more after its publication are questionable; if only the known MP3 patents filed by December 1992 are considered, then MP3 decoding may be patent-free in the US by September 2015 when U.S. Patent 5,812,672 expires which had a PCT filing in Oct 1992.

So, only still under patent in the US, and that only for one more year.

Somewhere in this forum is the group of piano samples using different microphone techniques that I put up as a challenge.  One of those had severe artefacts when encoded using Fraunhofer, so I replaced it with a Lame-encoded version - but kept a link to the other in the post for comparison.

Paul
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: