AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
June 25, 2012, 09:31:43 PM
74356 Posts in 7841 Topics by 2657 Members
Latest Member: Lou Piniella
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Adobe Audition 2.0, 3.0 & CS5.5 & 6
| | |-+  Audition CS6 AKA Audition 5
| | | |-+  Tried this one too...
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author
Topic: Tried this one too...  (Read 407 times)
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:29:31 PM »
Lebon14 Offline

Hello guys.  Might remeber me as the "Audition 1.5 fan". Anyway, I tried the new CS6 Audition and... no.  This is not gonna make migrate over from 1.5

There are several things that makes the software completely unfriendly.  My test job was a simple cut & trim job with a FLAC file.

1. Setup doesn't ask me what disks I want my temp fiule and totally went ahead and shose my SSD with 16GB available instead of my E: with 176GB...
2. I need to create a sesssion to go to a multiple-mode.  This is counter productive, imo.
3. No Favorite tab once again.  This alone made me want to uninstall CS6 all-together but I kept going.
4. Creating my own Fade In and Fade-Out is a pain in the arse. You need to use the selection which makes no sense... it's easy to lose that selection and have to make the whole curve again.
5. Once my tedious fade out and fade in created, I applied them.  Then, I wanted to remove the extra silence from the end of the track.  I was unable to.
6. I created an "enveloppe" called "Completely Out" which silence the selection.  I discovered that they (finally) coded this into Audition by pression "G".

I stopped there.  This software is anything but productive.  I can't even delete part of a file.  Pressing "G" removes the sound from the selected area while "Delete" wants to close the file....... come on.

Adobe, why are you changing your receipe?  1.5/3 were working just fine. I can't compute.
The only positive point is that CS6 opens OGG, FLAC and APE by default.  About time.

But no, I'm gonna stay on 1.5.  At this point, I'm losing hope of a better program and as user-friendly as 1.5.  I only wish somebody discovers why AA1.5 disables aero on Vista/7.  If someone finds a fix for this, I'm stuck forever on 1.5 because it seems that Adobe just doesn't get it at all.

Later.
Reply #1
« on: May 20, 2012, 09:14:28 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

It's you. Most other people are getting on fine with it, otherwise we'd have heard way more complaints (like we did about CS5.5, and I think they were justified from a usability POV...)

You can alter the destination of temp files easily, and most people have gotten completely used to the way sessions get created. You can create your own favourites easily - quite complicated ones, in fact. Fade ins and fade outs are easy - don't know what you are complaining about here at all. Removing silence is as easy as highlighting it and hitting Delete - how much more simple do you want that to be?

But hey, if you want to stick with Audition 1.5, that's fine. I still use it on this machine because it's convenient for things like grabbing internet feeds, etc. But for production purposes, CS6 works a lot better, and I'm making money out of it.

But like I said - it's you, I'm afraid. You haven't given it a fair chance, and you haven't bothered to find out where and more importantly why it's changed.

Reply #2
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:44:50 PM »
richlepage Offline

My vote is with Steve's on this.  We very seldom use AA1.5 anymore, though it's still on a few systems here.

But if it works for you, hey great, keep on with it then! 
Reply #3
« on: May 21, 2012, 04:09:52 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

I'll offer you a measure of sympathy, Lebon, then jump on the same bandwagon.  Change sucks.  If you've not migrated to AA3 (required a good bit of change) or CS5.5 (required a great deal more change), then you're being stared down by a program that works a great deal differently than warm, comfy AA1.5.  I'm not making fun here -- I really do think it's warm and comfy.  Your examples are all good ones -- try a simple task, butt your head against non-simple changes -- and without taking some time to know what's changed and why, you're missing out on the power of some pretty helpful new workflows.

Some of the change is also sucky because Adobe has made AA live nicely with their other apps.  If you don't care about their other video programs, or consistency from one to another, than it's a wasted inconvenience.  Note: that's the crowd footing a large portion of the bill, can't ignore them.  So some of the power of AA CS6 is wasted on standalone users.

Still, AA CS6 is proving to be a remarkable achievement in a number of ways, and I'm happy to report I can make money using it too.  Yes, there are a few things AA1.5 does better (e.g., see the recent karaoke thread and AA1.5's ability to play a video to a dedicated monitor), but there are actually a great more many things AA CS6 can do quite well that AA1.5 can't.  So you'll have to decide how much these things will matter for you.  I'm not trying to sell you on something you don't want.  It matters not to me.  I just want you to know every one of your objections has a workaround, and they're not complicated.  If you don't want to live that way, you're into a great piece of software in AA1.5 and more power to ya.  But we don't want you to miss out.  You've got 29 days left on your evaluation, and I hope you'll dig a little deeper before you give up.

Peace out.
Reply #4
« on: May 21, 2012, 06:39:08 AM »
Lebon14 Offline

First of all, I'm not a pro.  I'm an individual that doesn't have a business of any sort.  I like to "master" for fun files from my music collection and megamix.

Second, software-wise, I'm OK with change.  It's just that, for me, now is so much harder to get around and do things that are simple otherwise in earlier versions. And, I've only scratched the top. :\

CS5.5/6 is like someobody that still uses WinXP then tries Win8 for the first time.  I don't use AA3 because of the cursor bug/precision click bug I can't overcome.  I can overcome that same glitch in 1.5 by changing the I cursor to the arrow cursor.  But, in AA3, that feature was removed. So, I'm stuck with that bug.  I don't know what's causing it.  I don't have a weak machine either : Core i7 950, 6GB of RAM, GeForce GTX460 1GB factory overclocked, dedicated sound card, etc.

Anyway, there might be turn around my problem.  For exemple, affecting keyboard shortcuts to favorites; I know I'm using that already in 1.5.  Haven't bothered to check around in CS6 for them as I wasn't already liking the software.  Heck AA3 gave me a better impression the first time around.  The only things that doesn't make me change for it is the bug I mentionned.  And the first time I tried it, it was because it was laggy.  But it isn't anymore.

Also... there are effects missing.  Dynamic EQ, Pitch Bender and Scientific Filter (at some point) are some that I use and are not in the new version.

I forgot to say that I knew that I could change the temp files directories.  You can do that too in 1.5.

Anyway, it's uninstalled now. Arr.

Note : If anybody knows how to fix the unprecise click in AA1.5/2/3... let me know.  Diagnostic : when click somewhere in the waveform or multitrack, your click and the actual selected frame has an offset to the left of a few frames.  Never found why it's occuring.  It's fine in XP and Vista.  But they seem to hate Win7.
Reply #5
« on: May 21, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
ryclark Offline

Good news. Unlike previous trials of Audition which you couldn't re-install once you had uninstalled it, you can re-install the trial of CS6 as many times as you want within the 30 day trial period. smiley
Reply #6
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:13:52 PM »
beetle Offline
Global Moderator

Steve is correct.  The problem is the user.  Many who cling to very old software and skip successive versions usually have a hard time dealing with the changes and improvements in new the software that took place while they weren't looking.

I admit that I also don't like a few of the changes that Adobe made from AA3, but I learn how to use the new software and move on.  98% of the time, I like the new way better once I learn it.

Reply #7
« on: May 22, 2012, 04:18:05 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

CS5.5/6 is like someobody that still uses WinXP then tries Win8 for the first time. 

Now THAT is a vivid and accurate analogy.  But what if, at the end of the day, er month, Win8 proves to be the more powerful option?

I hear ya on those missing features, though.
Reply #8
« on: May 22, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

CS5.5/6 is like someobody that still uses WinXP then tries Win8 for the first time. 

Now THAT is a vivid and accurate analogy. 

It is? The first time I tried the beta, it crashed. Neither of the two latest Auditions did...

Reply #9
« on: May 23, 2012, 01:20:04 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

Point taken.   tongue

Let's revise that analogy to "Windoze 7!"
Reply #10
« on: May 23, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Point taken.   tongue

Let's revise that analogy to "Windoze 7!"

And that crashed (release version) with a BSOD first time we tried to update a driver...  rolleyes

Reply #11
« on: May 25, 2012, 01:05:14 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

No, I can't complain, it's gone really quite well for me.  Well, except for not being able to find anything at first.  That's just horrible.  But AA5-CS6 actually runs a tad better on my system in Win7-64 because of memory issues on large projects.
Reply #12
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:41:51 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Couple of days ago one of my sons got a new PC with W7-64 installed on it. So we plugged it all in, and to get the network cable to reach his preferred location, connected it via a hub. Could we get it to connect to the internet? No chance. Tried everything - physically it says that everything is correct, and all the lights are on, etc. - it just flatly refused to work, and wouldn't really tell us why either.

Eventually we put the machine a lot closer to the network cable, and removed the hub. All of a sudden it bursts into life. So as far as we can tell, M$ have built an OS that doesn't like hubs - other machines plugged into the hub work fine. And I've been speaking to more and more people who regret installing W7 - they say it has far too many Vista-like tendencies... so I'm rather hoping that W8 will eventually be something of an improvement. It can't really be much worse, can it?

Reply #13
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
pwhodges Offline

The hub* problem is far, far more likely to be an incompatibility between the network interface on the new computer and the hub than anything to do with Windows.

I have run a 1Gbps network at home for some years; but when I built my present computer (which uses a modern server-class motherboard with an Intel network chipset) I found that it would not connect reliably to the switch at all - it kept connecting at a slower speed and then losing the connection after a couple of seconds.  After trying all the esoteric settings in the network driver that I could think of, and even replacing some Cat5E cable with Cat6, I simply replaced the switch with a more modern one and everything sprang back to life at 1Gbps again.

I've seen similar problems elsewhere in the past.

Paul

* I guess you mean switch when you write hub - it's quite hard to get hubs these days.
Reply #14
« on: May 25, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
runaway Offline

Win7 x64 - not a problem.

Sure I moved from XP with some trepidation but now would never go back.

I have 2 PC out of 8 on my network that are still XP and that's only because they are running a heap of stuff I don't want to reinstall into a virtual XP (PT and other dodgy apps).
If not for these apps and my laziness they would be Win7 as well.

YMMV

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: