AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 09:16:13 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  Big Band Music On Pedal Steel
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author
Topic: Big Band Music On Pedal Steel  (Read 1354 times)
Reply #15
« on: June 30, 2011, 10:34:07 PM »
dobro Offline

Last night I was lucky enough to hear the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra headed up by Wynton Marsalis...

Cool! By coincidence, my wife and I have tickets to see them on Tuesday evening. I'll pay close attention...  grin

How did you like the music?
Reply #16
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:43:02 AM »
Phil G Howe Offline

How did you like the music?

Very much! That is one tight band, and it's obvious that they play a lot and spend a lot of time on the road!

After the show, there was a "meet-and-mingle" cocktail reception in the foyer of the concert hall, and we got to rub shoulders with the musicians. I had a wee chat with Sherman Erby, who plays alto sax. He said that their "book" is huge (their repertoire, and in fact, they have two complete books...) and they try to stay current with it by playing through it regularly while on the road. He said they can go 4 or 5 shows without repeating anything, although there are some favourites which show up rather more often than that.

So no "The Mooche..."

Altogether, one great big band! I couldn't help but notice that their rhythm section does not carry a guitar... grin

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #17
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:58:21 AM »
dobro Offline

Their rhythm section carries one of the sweetest piano players to tinkle down the stairs in a while.  I saw Steve Earle last night and he and his band did the meet and mingle thing after the show too.  Is this a feature of mid to bigname bands on tour now?  Out to the lobby and gladhand the afficionado demographic?
Reply #18
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
Wildduck Offline

Is this a feature of mid to bigname bands on tour now?  Out to the lobby and gladhand the afficionado demographic?

When I were a lad, it was the stage door after the show just for the "star". But there was no room there for the table with the CD's,  baseball caps and other "product".

We now have the Willie Nelson glass balls for our Christmas tree that our eldest brought back from a show. I bet Bing Crosby never thought of that.
Reply #19
« on: July 01, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
dobro Offline

Well, since live performance is a better way to make money these days than selling recorded media, I suppose that one can seriously augment one's income at a gig by flogging the baseball hats, teeshirts, christmas tree ornaments, and signed vibrators.  Kind of annoying, though, if you're the talent.  I mean, isn't that what a girlfriend is for? - flogging CDs out of a suitcase at half time...  grin  I mean, I imagine you can just *predict* the banality of most lobby conversations.

"Hey, great performance!"

"Thanks."

"Where you playing next?"

"Seattle."

"Really?  Wow, that's so cool.  Hey, can you sign my CD?"
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: