AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 02, 2012, 01:05:31 AM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Recordings Showcase
| | |-+  bend the knee
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: bend the knee  (Read 1078 times)
« on: February 27, 2011, 07:30:34 AM »
dobro Offline

Okay, I've been wondering for a while what you think of the reverb on this one.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1093971&songID=10331846

bend the knee
Reply #1
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:38:25 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I can hardly hear any reverb at all - but...

a) It sounds fine like this, and

b) It's rather good - I recommend people to listen to this anyway, regardless!

Reply #2
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
MarkT

I think Steve's ears are getting a little old  grin I heard the reverb and think it is very good and subtle. Do I hear shades of the Incredible String Band here?
Reply #3
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I didn't say that I couldn't hear it - only that there was hardly any at all. But there again, I spend a lot of time in naturally reverberant acoustics, so perhaps it's not really that surprising that I didn't think there was much, is it?

The other thing was that initially I listened to this on headphones, and these are notorious for not reproducing reverb perspectives correctly - they get lost in your head. That said, I've just listened to it again on a pair of monitors, and haven't changed my mind in the slightest!

Reply #4
« on: March 01, 2011, 12:51:09 PM »
MarkT

I didn't say that I couldn't hear it

I can hardly hear any reverb at all - but...

Well pardon me - I didn't say you couldn't hear it either  grin grin grin grin grin evil touchy devil!
Reply #5
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Do I hear shades of the Incredible String Band here?

Maybe it's your ears!  grin  tongue afro

Reply #6
« on: March 01, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
MarkT

Do I hear shades of the Incredible String Band here?

Maybe it's your ears!  grin  tongue afro

What?....Incredible String Band rule! afro rolleyes evil cool
Reply #7
« on: March 30, 2011, 05:36:58 AM »
dobro Offline

Yes, they do.  Keep talking about them.  It takes me back.
Reply #8
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

I was expecting pedal steel... given the title of the tune!  grin (For you non-players, pitch on a pedal steel can be varied not only by pedals, but by knee levers as well. The process is often called "bending" a note.)

The only disconcerting thing about this piece is the "elastic" sense of time. It ebbs and flows, slower and faster, and becomes immediately evident to me after the guitar intro. Was it meant to be that way?

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #9
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

I was expecting pedal steel... given the title of the tune!  grin (For you non-players, pitch on a pedal steel can be varied not only by pedals, but by knee levers as well. The process is often called "bending" a note.)

Yeah, but given that feudal serfdom has used that expression from the word go, and is way older than pedal steel guitars, it has a good prior claim, I'd say... and I'd also bet that this is what most people would think of, too, not some strange below-the-waist activity that guitarists might get up to.

The only disconcerting thing about this piece is the "elastic" sense of time. It ebbs and flows, slower and faster, and becomes immediately evident to me after the guitar intro. Was it meant to be that way?

Oh, yes... this isn't disco music.

Reply #10
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »
Phil G Howe Offline

Yeah, but given that feudal serfdom has used that expression from the word go, and is way older than pedal steel guitars, it has a good prior claim, I'd say... and I'd also bet that this is what most people would think of, too, not some strange below-the-waist activity that guitarists might get up to.

Oh, yes... this isn't disco music.

The term is in use in the Book of Genesis which predates the feudal era by just a little bit....

As far as the timing is concerned, you can decry the disco genre all you wish, but a variance in tempo of just a few bpm just makes it sound suspect. If a contrast in tempos is undertaken, it should indeed be a contrast.

My jesting reply also refers to the OP's handle "dobro" which is generally meant as a type of acoustic steel guitar. I play one...   smiley

I'd never allow myself to be cloned. I just couldn't live with myself...
Reply #11
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:02:10 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

As far as the timing is concerned, you can decry the disco genre all you wish, but a variance in tempo of just a few bpm just makes it sound suspect.

a) Where did you get decrying from? I was using it as a reference, because it's characterised by strict tempo.

b) Variances of tempo make it sound human, not suspect...  smiley

Reply #12
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:24:25 PM »
dobro Offline

It disconcerts me too a bit, but I'm so allergic to loops and beats these days that I've abandoned click tracks in favor of just playing the tune.  The lesson I've learned is that I have to play better in future.  grin    (There's another tune on that Soundclick page called Frankistan - the tempo shifts even worse - but I wanted the song to move like riding on a camel, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

No connection to pedal steel players in this tune, but if I *ever* get access to a pedal steel player to collaborate with, you will hear some bending of the knee of a more contemporary sort in the music that comes out of this studio.  Pedal steel is one of the most gorgeous instruments in the world of modern music. 
Reply #13
« on: June 25, 2011, 05:04:40 AM »
dobro Offline

I always figure people can read my mind online.  I was being ironic.  Yeah, of course it ebbs and flows.  It's supposed to - it's better that way. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: