AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 03:39:23 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2596 Members
Latest Member: paulvincent
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  Hardware and Soundcards
| | |-+  So what's a good cd burner to get ... ??
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author
Topic: So what's a good cd burner to get ... ??  (Read 3311 times)
Reply #15
« on: February 17, 2011, 01:15:45 PM »
jamesp Offline

Plextor now source their drives from a variety of different manufacturers. Some of them are capable of doing low level error checks using a new program called PlexUtilities but the scanning is less comprehensive than that on the older Plextools.

I'm currently using a batch of JVC branded discs. With the exception of one disc that had a C2 error, they look to be similar in quality to the other Taiyo Yuden discs that I've used.

James.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
http://www.jrpmusic.net
Audio Mastering, Duplication and Restoration
Reply #16
« on: February 17, 2011, 06:15:05 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Would you ever trust a used drive off of eBay?  Try getting a Plextor 850, perhaps?  Or the older 716 series?

At least if Plextor is still supporting some level of quality checking, you're ahead of the game compared to other drives where there's nothing by flying blind.

I do have to say that a basic Pioneer DVD burner that someone gave me for my home computer (probably worth $65) writes DVDs as well as the "better" Plextor 716 that I still have at work.  Both tested on the 716 with Plextools, of course.
Reply #17
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
djwayne Offline

Okay MC,  you convinced me. I just ordered a band new Plextor 870A with LightScribe cd/dvd burner. It comes with PlexUTILITIES and Nero 9 Essentials software.

Thanks everybody for your input !!

http://cgi.ebay.com/PLEXTOR-PX-870A-PATA-DL-22X-DVD-WRITER-LIGHTSCRIBE-/180582604942?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&hash=item2a0b8fe08e
Reply #18
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:48:08 AM »
djwayne Offline

I just read that Nero 9 Essentials and Nero Burn 10 lite...or whatever it is, neither program will burn audio cd's.....data or dvd's only....what a crock....looks like I'll be sticking with AA 3 or Windows Media Player for burning audio cd's.
Reply #19
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:19:25 AM »
AndyH Offline

I like Burrrn for audio CDs. It is freeware.
http://www.burrrn.net/
Reply #20
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:50:01 PM »
ryclark Offline

Whatever you do don't use Windows media Player to burn your CDs. You have no idea what it may be doing to your lovely clean audio data. sad
Reply #21
« on: February 18, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
djwayne Offline

I'll find out what it's doing to my files once I get the PlexUtilities software. Getting this software was one of the main reasons I bought this Plextor model. Some Plextors don't come with the PlexUtilities, so you have to be sure it says that in the ad.
Reply #22
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
Sun Prod Offline

I just read that Nero 9 Essentials and Nero Burn 10 lite...or whatever it is, neither program will burn audio cd's.....data or dvd's only....what a crock....looks like I'll be sticking with AA 3 or Windows Media Player for burning audio cd's.
Strange.  Here at work I use Nero Smart Start Essentials 7 to burn CDs and DVDs.  It's not the full version of Nero, but it does what I need it to do.

At home, I purchased the full version of Nero...at Staples in Canada, the seem to cut the price in half once in a while.  Not sure if they do the same in other countries.
Reply #23
« on: February 18, 2011, 05:11:13 PM »
djwayne Offline

It seems a lot of software companies are downgrading their software with the newer versions. They're going backwards for some reason.
Reply #24
« on: February 18, 2011, 09:26:41 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

They're going backwards for some reason.

Try the RIAA...

Reply #25
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:43:03 AM »
djwayne Offline

Well then, let the RIAA buy the downgraded software.
Reply #26
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:27:34 PM »
djwayne Offline

I got some Taiyo Yuden cd-r's from Guitar Center..They had them for $7.99 for a 25 pack case, I bought two. They're silver laquer printable discs. My new Plextor should be here early next week.
Reply #27
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:08:38 PM »
jamesp Offline

I'll find out what it's doing to my files once I get the PlexUtilities software.

PlexUtilities won't let you verify that the data on the disc is the same as the data in your files. So Media Player could easily be messing around with the sound but burning error free CD's and you would have no idea that there is a problem.

Plextools will verify that the data on the CD matches the original files if you burn using a .cue file or its own .pxa format but I think this functionality only works with certain drives.

James.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
Reply #28
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:50:51 PM »
djwayne Offline

So then James, what cd burning applications do you use ??

What do you recommend ??
Reply #29
« on: February 23, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
jamesp Offline

I use Plextools when writing to one of my Plextor drives or ImgBurn or Nero when I'm writing to a non-Plextor drive. All my serious audio stuff is written with the Plextor drives so I don't know how well ImgBurn does audio (if it does at all). I've also used Feurio in the past but it doesn't seem to be supported any more.

James.

JRP Music Services
Alresford, Hampshire UK
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: