AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
March 08, 2011, 11:54:07 PM
72075 Posts in 7573 Topics by 2392 Members
Latest Member: Usadoctor
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  What would you do with this problem?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: What would you do with this problem?  (Read 581 times)
« on: September 23, 2010, 04:55:57 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

I have managed to reduce the plosives in the attached clip a few different ways, none of which mask the problem very well.  Is it too much to hope for a miraculous cleanup?  The original recording does involve a dedicated track for the narrator, but the real problem here is the soft underscore music and the incompetently miced narrator exploding in the house speakers.  There's really no way to subtract out the acoustical perpetuation of the plosive problem.

Deletion of some of the offending milliseconds is not an option because this recording needs to sync to picture. 

Nice, huh?  No, I did not record this, but wish to do a friend a salvage favor.  Improvement is something I can already offer, but I want to do more than improve this.

If any of you can make a radical edit and remove these plosives, please detail how and post the results of your effort for us.  And I will owe you a debt of gratitude.
Reply #1
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:29:24 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

What a difference a day makes....  or not so much in this case.

Hmmmm, 30 reads and no takers.  Or even commenters.  C'mon, you could simply post that this clip really reeks.  Maybe the weekend will improve things!  Thanks in advance.
Reply #2
« on: September 24, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Been desperately busy for the last 48 hours, but I have a few minutes now, and will have a listen. And a good few of those 30 reads are probably the indexing service... but that doesn't explain the 13 downloads, I must admit!

Reply #3
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
RossW Offline

Well, "reeks" may be a bit strong, but there is clearly a problem with plosives on the recording, and it's tough to tame them.  However, I tried two of my favorite techniques with AA version 3:  the Spot Healing Brush and Fill Single Click Now. 

For the Healing Brush, I zoomed in really tight in the spectral view, and used the brush only on the strongest, lower part of the plosive... below 200 Hz or so.  Several attempts to nibble away at each, resulted in the file with "_heal" appended to the name.  Then, more as an experiment than anything, I tried the fill single click option in the Click & Pop Eliminator.  That may be bit too harsh for some, but I think it helped others.("_heal_pop")  What I did certainly isn't perfect, but I think is an improvement.  I did this quick fix in only a few minutes, but if you're patient and careful, you may get better results.  I didn't use any EQ or other techniques than the two mentioned.  Good luck!
Reply #4
« on: September 24, 2010, 05:22:04 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Is it too much to hope for a miraculous cleanup? 

Yes.

Even though these individual examples can be cleaned somewhat, that's primarily because there isn't much bass in the background at this point. I suspect that this may not be the case with the rest of the recording?

If you have the original narrative separately, then if you fix the plosives on this on its own. Presumably the underscore is a recording as well? Just remate them and forget it was ever live...

Reply #5
« on: September 24, 2010, 11:54:44 PM »
MusicConductor Offline

Guys, I'm just about to dash off into weekend traffic.  When things settle down, I will look forward to hearing Ross' samples, made using two of my favorite tools too. 

Steve, if only it were so easy.  It was a live orchestral performance, most of which did NOT involve narration.  But this part...  I just can't believe that a "pro" house engineer could allow this to happen.  So no, there are no "dry" or source tracks, only what you hear. 
Reply #6
« on: September 25, 2010, 04:53:46 AM »
Cal Offline

The persistence of the reverb tail on the narrative may make this impossible. As Ross demonstrated, the attack can be dealt with somewhat, but it's that "sweet afterglow" that may be the sticking point.

Reply #7
« on: January 20, 2011, 06:00:46 PM »
Keith828 Offline

Hi MC, probably well past your sell-by date but I had go with the parametric equalizer, and others, long way from perfect but a 'helluvan' improvement, you didn't mention if you had solved your problem.   Just did he first plosive (Kick Drum) so easy to compare.
Reply #8
« on: January 21, 2011, 02:35:05 AM »
MusicConductor Offline

Hi, thanks for taking a stab at this.  The friend I was trying to help found an EQ-based solution on his own, to his satisfaction.  No sweat required on my part! 

I have a long history of making unusual intrusions disappear completely from my live recordings, but the lack of separate tracks and the overwhelming volume of the pops rendered my usual techniques impotent.

At least the case can be considered closed.  Thanks again, Keith.
Reply #9
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:38:15 AM »
Keith828 Offline

Audio Impotence. I've heard of this, maybe when I'm a little older  rolleyes

You're welcome, I'm completely new to Au and Mastering, so when I saw your post I thought it might be a fun way to find my way around the software, it was.

All the best, K.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: