AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
November 11, 2007, 10:44:09 PM
62085 Posts in 6143 Topics by 2109 Members
Latest Member: electron
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  "SACD and DVD-A proven no better the CD in a year of listening tests"
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author
Topic: "SACD and DVD-A proven no better the CD in a year of listening tests"  (Read 351 times)
Reply #15
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:22:57 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

We have a similar device. When I bought it I plugged it in and waited for the dog to doze. Then I turned it on. He lifted his head and looked around, then got up and quietly left the room.

Whilst the cat's not too bothered about my ultrasonic cleaner (the energy pretty much stays in the liquid), he gets extremely  distressed if I dare to switch on the ultrasonic leak detector that I use for door seals, dodgy walls, etc. This puts a lot of energy into the air at 40kHz, and he can hear it from several rooms away - enough of this energy gets around pretty much any normal house door, and it's well within his hearing range - which according to some sources goes up to about 64kHz - way beyond a dog's, which on a good day will extend to about 40kHz tops. Porpoises and dolphins have probably the best range though - it extends up to about 150kHz.

Reply #16
« on: November 04, 2007, 01:25:06 AM »
ozpeter Online

Thanks, Andy.  I've just spent a happy hour going through http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?author=EBradMeyer&user_id=45230&forum=ALL&sortRank=None&sort=date&sortOrder=DESC which is one of the author's responses to criticisms of the paper.  It makes the most delicious reading.  I should probably have been doing other things but I just couldn't stop reading the repeated nailing of "audiophiles" to the wall.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: