AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 16, 2007, 05:58:23 PM
62675 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: tone2
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Digital coaxial output on a plain RCA audio cable ?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Digital coaxial output on a plain RCA audio cable ?  (Read 759 times)
« on: March 16, 2007, 12:35:41 AM »
MrHope Offline

Can I use an ordinary audio (or video) RCA cable to send coaxial SPDIF digital from my soundcard to a coaxial SPDIF digital input on another device ? Do I really need to buy a special coaxial cable or will the ordinary audio cable work ? huh
Reply #1
« on: March 16, 2007, 02:19:30 AM »
Jester700 Offline

Coax video cable will work fine - better than an audio one, as the specs of a composite video cable is similar to those for SPDIF, IIRC.

Jesse Greenawalt
Reply #2
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:15:43 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Whilst it's true that 75 ohm video coax is a better match, the chances of noticing any difference between this and an ordinary short audio RCA-to-RCA lead are minimal, because the characteristic impedance of it isn't that far different from video coax anyway. So over 5-6 feet or so it's not a problem. These cables tend to have relatively high capacitance though, so the attenuation losses mount up over longer lengths quite fast. And that means that the relatively high frequency signals deteriorate to the point that sync lock-up fails.

So ultimately how far you can send S/PDIF this way rather depends on your individual cable, but using ordinary audio cable over longer distances isn't advisable at all, even if it actually seems to work, because you stand a good chance of it not being reliable.

Reply #3
« on: March 19, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »
blurk Offline

Whilst it's true that 75 ohm video coax is a better match, the chances of noticing any difference between this and an ordinary short audio RCA-to-RCA lead are minimal, because the characteristic impedance of it isn't that far different from video coax anyway. So over 5-6 feet or so it's not a problem.

FWIW I've always used plain RCA audio cables without problems.  They've usually been fairly short interconnects, but I do have one RCA audio cable that'd be a couple of metres long that I've drafted into service.  But this is merely to connect an M-Audio 2496 to a <spit>SB Live</spit>, so it wasn't for any serious application.  But it can be done.
Reply #4
« on: March 19, 2007, 01:29:16 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

If you are lucky, you can get further than that, but you need a sympathetic receiver. The most I've ever managed with manky audio cable was about 14ft down to the end of the workshop, where there is a convenient oscilloscope that shows you just how much of the risetime you've lost - quite a bit! But with a bit of care, this was still resolved into clean audio.

The way it's actually specified is that for run lengths over 10m, you need 75 ohm coax with a tolerance of +/- 5% or better, but for any run up to 10m long, you can loosen that tolerance to +/- 35%. The further from the characteristic impedance you get, the shorter the run you can have. But all of this assumes that the terminations are accurate too - and with some manufacturers, there's absolutely no guarantee of this.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: