AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
February 01, 2012, 11:34:40 PM
73736 Posts in 7768 Topics by 2597 Members
Latest Member: miskaudio
News:       Buy Adobe Audition:
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Polls
| | |-+  Poll: What do you think of the OT forum?
  « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author
Topic: Poll: What do you think of the OT forum?  (Read 36711 times)
Reply #30
« on: February 09, 2006, 12:29:47 AM »
groucho Offline

'Disrespect' is a strange word to use - that thread doesn't appear to contain personal abuse, name-calling or anything like that

We may be talking about different threads.Smiley

Anyway, I didn't mean to imply that anything truly dastardly was going on. I think it's probably more comical than anything else.

I do appreciate the "length" aspect. The OT threads do tend to stretch on.

And on... and on...

Chris
Reply #31
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:34:54 AM »
bonnder Offline

Quote from: SteveG
It does, but only in one sense, and that is that the posts in it tend to be longer, so it takes longer to read through them.

Perhaps an appropriate middle ground would be to deputize a few trusted folks who would have direct access to the moderators and could alert them when / if things started getting out of hand.  That way, the OT topics would be moderated but the moderators wouldn't have to read all of them.
Reply #32
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:43:16 AM »
Ultra Offline

Quote from: bonnder
Quote from: SteveG
It does, but only in one sense, and that is that the posts in it tend to be longer, so it takes longer to read through them.

Perhaps an appropriate middle ground would be to deputize a few trusted folks who would have direct access to the moderators and could alert them when / if things started getting out of hand.  That way, the OT topics would be moderated but the moderators wouldn't have to read all of them.

Isn't this equivalent to creating a moderator just for that area?

I really don't get it.  What is the actual problem, anyway?   Three people responded to this poll in the negative.

There is nothing in OT unsuitable for family viewing.   Hence, I don't see the need for consternation over un-needed moderation.
Reply #33
« on: February 09, 2006, 02:06:38 AM »
groucho Offline

Quote from: Ultra

I really don't get it.  What is the actual problem, anyway?   Three people responded to this poll in the negative.

Well, I imagine there are lots of people who haven't voted yet. Still, I gotta admit I'm suprised at how lopsided the vote is already.

Chris
Reply #34
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:58:26 AM »
ozpeter Offline

I haven't voted.  I don't think we should have polls here. wink
Reply #35
« on: February 09, 2006, 05:58:49 AM »
bonnder Offline

I've been on forums where they had a button that anyone could click on to alert a moderator if the thread was getting out of hand.  Since we don't have such buttons, I proposed people who would summon the moderators.  The deputies, as I proposed them, wouldn't have the power to lock the thread - only to summon a moderator.  If the deputies were given the power to lock a thread then I suppose they could be considered moderators themselves.
Reply #36
« on: February 09, 2006, 06:42:54 AM »
Andrew Rose Offline

I've been on forums where they had a button that anyone could click on to alert a moderator if the thread was getting out of hand.  Since we don't have such buttons, I proposed people who would summon the moderators.  The deputies, as I proposed them, wouldn't have the power to lock the thread - only to summon a moderator.  If the deputies were given the power to lock a thread then I suppose they could be considered moderators themselves.

We've all got the power to 'summon a moderator' - send a PM. Anything more than that suggests we'd need a full-time (paid) team of moderators on 24-hour standby. I don't think that's either feasible or necessary...

Reply #37
« on: February 09, 2006, 09:14:16 AM »
Ultra Offline

Quote from: Andrew Rose
We've all got the power to 'summon a moderator' - send a PM.

'xactly.

3 cry

huh
Reply #38
« on: February 09, 2006, 04:20:45 PM »
Aim Day Co Offline

Should this post not be in OT cheesy

Mark

Reply #39
« on: February 09, 2006, 08:41:24 PM »
MarkT

Andrew Rose said it all:
Because it's as good a place as any, because I don't want to hang around anywhere else, because there's an interesting diversity of opinion between people who share common interests, because there's a community here of regulars, because it does no harm, because I don't want to go anywhere else, because I can disagree with a forum member on at OT thread while discussing amicably something on topic elsewhere, because we're all grown-ups here, because there's a good deal of intelligence here, and because our primary reason for being here is not to have political discussions and therefore they tend not to attract the obsessives and the nutcases you find in specifically political forums.

I agree with each and every point Andrew makes. I'm sorry Steve, I know you have enough to do, but thsi is the best place for an OT forum, and you are definitely my choice for a moderator who knows when to say "enough", and when to let it go. You mentioned a free zone for kids to wander, I'm sorry but I don't see what kids are doing in this forum at all - I see this more as a pub where friends hang out!
Reply #40
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:59:38 PM »
Bobbsy Offline

Count me with the "leave it as is" brigade.  

The main reason for the AM forum is obviously for the exchange of technical information.  However, the occasional dip into the OT forum is a good way to get to know other posters in a more informal...dare I say "real world"...context.

I have no problem even with difficult topics like politics or religion.  I can either ignore them or dive in.  The one proviso I'd make is that if the discussion descends to flaming or personal attack, THEN it's time to either close a topic or send somebody on a "posting holiday".  However, so long as people are just expressing views--even widely differing ones, so be it.

Bob

Good sound is the absence of bad sound.
Reply #41
« on: February 10, 2006, 12:06:42 AM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: MarkT
You mentioned a free zone for kids to wander, I'm sorry but I don't see what kids are doing in this forum at all - I see this more as a pub where friends hang out!

I did say 'it has been suggested' - it wasn't by me, but I do know who did suggest this, and he can comment about it if he wants to.

Reply #42
« on: February 10, 2006, 04:25:25 AM »
bonnder Offline

Rather than a free zone for kids to wander - how about a zone where those who have kids can read in peace - confident that when Susie sneaks up behind dad and reads over his shoulder, dad won't have to quickly close the AudioMasters Forum window to protect Susie's innocence.

That does happen I think rather more than kids wandering around the forum.

Quote from: Bobbsy
However, so long as people are just expressing views--even widely differing ones, so be it.

So long as the monitoring of those widely differing views doesn't become too burdensome for the moderators.
Reply #43
« on: February 10, 2006, 06:56:57 AM »
Ultra Offline

So long as the monitoring of those widely differing views doesn't become too burdensome for the moderators.

So, say what you want, as long as no one has to be burdened by the comments.

Bah.  There is no burden not willingly assumed.
Reply #44
« on: February 10, 2006, 07:31:45 AM »
bonnder Offline

There is no burden not willingly assumed.

(Blaming the victim is always great fun.)

I'm not quite sure what you meant, Ultra.  I meant that at some point the moderators might grow weary of monitoring widely differing views and simply close down the OT section.  It was only a comment, meant to acknowledge that the OT section (the entire forum, really) exists only through the graciousness of the moderators.  (Valentine's Day is coming.  I'm throwing roses, OK.)

My comment was not meant to suggest that we should all think alike in order to not overtax the moderators.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: