AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
December 16, 2007, 12:44:45 PM
62675 Posts in 6217 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: tone2
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Related
| |-+  General Audio
| | |-+  Using channel inserts as direct outs whilst retaining insert
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Using channel inserts as direct outs whilst retaining insert  (Read 317 times)
« on: August 31, 2004, 11:32:56 AM »
davehk Offline

I was wondering if anyone has a neat solution for using the channel insert points of a mixer as direct outs (into a multitrack recorder) whilst at the same time inserting a processor (compressor) in the return to the mixer.

I need to be able to do a multitrack recording of a musical (12 radio mics, 5 floats and several point mics) whilst at the same time providing reinforcement FOH - for which I want to use compression on all the radio mics.

Desk is a A&H GL2000 (no direct outs), recorder probably Alesis HD24. Mic splitters and a second desk for recording is not a viable option - no room and I have to concentrate on the FOH sound.

I can certainly design a special patch bay to do this - but making it up would be tedious and I wonder if there is a quicker solution - I'm thinking of ways to use a standard balanced and normalised patchbay, but if someone has already worked out how, that'd save some time!

Thanks,
Reply #1
« on: August 31, 2004, 01:10:34 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: davehk
I was wondering if anyone has a neat solution for using the channel insert points of a mixer as direct outs (into a multitrack recorder) whilst at the same time inserting a processor (compressor) in the return to the mixer.

You probably won't get any more cable in the insert jack plugs, but surely all you need to do is tap into the feed into the compressor? So a simple in--line splitter would do fine. But the proper way...

Well, there is a standard patchbay option to do this - you can buy half-normalised ones which will do exactly what you want directly.

Reply #2
« on: August 31, 2004, 03:50:07 PM »
davehk Offline

Can't see how that works - connect the TRS lead from the insert to the back top row, take the output to the recorder from the top front tip and sleeve - fine. If you link tip and ring at the back bottom row, you get the send return looped OK. But if you plug a processor into the bottom front it disconnects the feed from the top - so no signal to the processor and no return to the desk - all you are doing is shorting in processor send/return.

I've tried to draw this out several different ways and I just can't see it. I must have a blind spot.

OK - maybe I do see ... TRS from mixer insert to top rear of bay. Normal insert (TRS to 2TS) from top front to processor. Bottom rear of bay Tip and Sleeve to recorder input. But if you unplug the processor from the front, you break the return to the desk, so I'd have to use T-R shorting jacks if I had a processor failure to loop the insert send back to the return

Is that it?
Reply #3
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:31:06 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Yes, I can see your dilemma - we used to get around this by using split patch leads - or you could completely normalise the field with two breaks, use a split lead in the lower field to go to the compressor and back, and a linked plug in the top row to provide the direct outs. This is slightly anti- the correct way to use a patchfield, but hey, if you are desperate... or just add an additional row above the top row and wired to the out side of the breakjacks, and use these as outputs, and the patchbay as normal.

However you look at it, you've got a wiring job - that's unavoidable!

Reply #4
« on: September 01, 2004, 08:30:44 AM »
davehk Offline

I guess the neatest way is to cut and strap a half-normal bay so that the feed from the top path connects to the moving contacts on the front lower jack, rather than the fixed ones. Then link the fixed contacts together. That way when the plug is inserted in the lower row, it connects to the top path rather than the bottom rear socket. And when removed, the S-R loop is made. ie the front lower socket works like a normal TRS insert, and the front top taps off the signal to the recorder.

Sounds like a job for a winters evening.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: