AudioMasters

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
September 06, 2007, 06:47:48 PM
61218 Posts in 6045 Topics by 2045 Members
Latest Member: celticfyr
News:   | Forum Rules
+  AudioMasters
|-+  Audio Software
| |-+  Cool Edit 2.0 & 2.1, Audition 1.0 & 1.5
| | |-+  Normalize or Amplify?
  « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author
Topic: Normalize or Amplify?  (Read 1688 times)
« on: July 15, 2003, 02:46:35 PM »
pauxier Offline

Hey guys--
I have a waveform that is not very hot but it sounds clear.
Should I use normalize to boost or amplify or a combination.
I will try all these things when I get to the studio, but wanted
to get the expert input and maybe a tip or 2

Thanx a bunch
Reply #1
« on: July 15, 2003, 02:51:38 PM »
Syntax Error Offline

Hi Pauxier,

Well, normalising means this: CEP is going to scan the file for the loudest part, after that it's going to amplify the whole file to the point where the loudest part is just below the point of clipping (assuming you use 100% normalising).

So there you have it. Normalising is the same as amplifying - only it prevents the file form clipping.

-- Syntax Error

Syntax Error used to be called HanzZ... who the hell is HanzZ? He used to hang around at the old forum and he used to make music like apples fall from trees.
Reply #2
« on: July 15, 2003, 03:45:32 PM »
pauxier Offline

Thanx for that,
it almost sounds like a compressor limiter.
Reply #3
« on: July 15, 2003, 03:47:05 PM »
Syntax Error Offline

Indeed. I'm affraid a lot of people think just that. But normalising doesn't have anything to do with the dynamics of your file.

Glad I could be of help.

-- Syntax

Syntax Error used to be called HanzZ... who the hell is HanzZ? He used to hang around at the old forum and he used to make music like apples fall from trees.
Reply #4
« on: July 15, 2003, 09:32:44 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: pauxier

it almost sounds like a compressor limiter.

Syntax is right - it's just amplification that finds the loudest part of your file, and moves the whole file, using that loudest point as a reference, to the new level that you have set for a maximum. So everything gets louder or quieter by the same amount.

Reply #5
« on: July 15, 2003, 10:15:35 PM »
pauxier Offline

So if you simply Amplify, clipping could occur?

I understand

Thanx again
Reply #6
« on: July 15, 2003, 10:27:05 PM »
post78 Offline

Technically, you can normalize to any value, including over full scale, which means that you can clip regardless of which you use.  
If you notice in "amplify", there's a "normalization" box.  If you insert a peak value into that box, like -1 dB (for example), then hit "calculate now", you'll see the amplification value rise or lower to whatever amount will leave your file at -1 dBFS.  Simply, if you know what peak level or percentage you want your file to be at, it's much easier to find using normalization than calculating (or guessing) the exact amount of cut or boost needed.  However, if you instead know how many decibels or percent you want to cut or boost from the file, amplification is the best way to get you there.
Both are very useful, but in the end will give you the same results.

"Who's THE Zapp Brannigan?".
Reply #7
« on: July 15, 2003, 10:34:46 PM »
pauxier Offline

Awesom info smiley
I'll try these things as soon as I can
Reply #8
« on: July 15, 2003, 11:36:32 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: pauxier

I understand

Thanx again

It does what post78 says - well it does in 16-bit mode. In 32-bit mode, you can normalise to any value you like, even way above 0dB, because it's working in 'floating-point' mode. Okay, it will sound distorted, but only because the level's overloaded your soundcard. We are talking about a potential 1500dB dynamic range here...

The really neat bit is that if you then re-normalise your file back to 0dB, the clipping will go away as if by magic!

At some point, we will be able to bring you more information about how this works, but for the moment, just take it that it does!

Reply #9
« on: July 17, 2003, 10:29:58 PM »
VoodooRadio Offline

FWIW, I "normalize" all tracks to 96% (which is my own preference) when I'm tracking.  Volume is cumulative and I find that by doing this when building sessions, that I don't have to do any major antenuating with the track and master volumes.  Surely... your mileage WILL vary!   wink

Good Luck!

VooDoo
Reply #10
« on: July 18, 2003, 03:53:27 AM »
kevino Offline

SteveG -
quick question about the 32-bit no-clipping thing.  Though I use 32-bit mode and am able to bring off the chart spikes down into range, I cannot see them if i zoom out vertically before I normalize them.  Everything is just cut off at 0 db.  Should I be able to do this? Thanks

KO

"Save up points to curry my favor."
Reply #11
« on: July 18, 2003, 01:51:57 PM »
Scottshu975 Offline

Quote from: kevino
SteveG -
quick question about the 32-bit no-clipping thing.  Though I use 32-bit mode and am able to bring off the chart spikes down into range, I cannot see them if i zoom out vertically before I normalize them.  Everything is just cut off at 0 db.  Should I be able to do this? Thanks

KO

I put all my tracks through the dynamic processor on de-esser medium, then equalize through the geq, and then normalize to 80%...that usually leaves it sounding very crisp and clear....just my 2 cents
Reply #12
« on: July 18, 2003, 08:50:40 PM »
SteveG Offline
Administrator

Quote from: kevino
SteveG -

KO

Not quite sure what  Scottshu975's previous post relates to - but what you are seeing is correct - the visual display is limited at this point. It has nothing to do with the audio, though, which definitely isn't limited!

You can prove this for yourself by deliberately overloading a 32-bit track, and then, whilst it's shrunk and still looking like a block of green, renormalising it to 0dB and seeing what happens. As if by magic you get your correct-looking track back!

Reply #13
« on: July 19, 2003, 05:24:19 AM »
kevino Offline

Thanks Steve

I guess I just didn't understand the point of be able to zoom out to see positive dB values if the audio information can't be seen there anyway. Thanks again.

KO

"Save up points to curry my favor."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: